Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Logic and a 3 year old

Ok, I seriously don't think I am ready for this, but this last weekend showed me just how smart a child of 3 can be. *shudder*. The family went to the mall to get Momma some shoes (was at death's door when it came to my feet). We did our shopping and during our excursion she was constantly touching things. The day before, when we were doing our errands she was doing the same thing and we had had a talk about the fact that we were not supposed to touch things.

So I reminded her (I thought) by saying: "What are you not supposed to be doing? What did we talk about yesterday?"
Irene: "Not to touch anything". She yanks her hand back from touching all the socks on the wall
Momma:"That's right. Why were you touching it?"
Irene: "Because we didn't talk about it." (referring to the fact that we had not talked about it *today* yet). *rolling eyes*

I was so flabbergasted that she had actually come up with a completely logical reason for this, that I nearly tripped over myself. I also completely lost my mind at that point and simply stopped the conversation. I didn't respond. I just couldn't fathom that a 3 year old had come up with as logical an answer that an adult would.

I am not ready for this.

3 comments:

  1. this reminds me of the first documented incident where Nikolai obviously outsmarted me when he was insisting that we live in outer space. after I told him we live on earth he responded "earth is in outer space"

    very much like the conversation here with Irene, I really just had no response.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man, that is great. Seeing the logic leap is amazing but the fun begins with the story telling ;) At least for madisyn. She can go on for hours about this that and the purple unicorn in her bedroom that plays with the faires :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am not ready for this. :-S

    ReplyDelete