Tuesday, March 09, 2010

Cabrillo's online programs

Well, I have to post of the latest things I've been doing. I haven't posted it here.  I have been taking classes.   Amber suggested we take classes through Cabillo's Online system.  The first class I've been taking was Python. I finished it a week ago or so.  Classes are 6 weeks with 2 classes a week, and great for getting you into the area you're interested in.  No credits - but if you're like me where you don't need credits - just exposure - this is great.  Classes are $95 each and you get a certificate of completion once you take the final.

One wish: They had done the Python class in version 3.0 rather than 2.5 but I can figure out the updates.  Overall, it was a good exposure.  Amber and I have since been investigating different pages related to Python.  One of the things that I wanted to add was additional exercises that I could complete to help keep my background up.  I found this: http://www.bembry.org/technology/python/exercises/ 

Another class I am taking right now is An Introduction to Java. I have to say, I was not prepared for an introduction to Programming using Java - but that's that's what this is.  If you're willing to put up with the fact that it takes nearly 6 lessons before you write your first program, then it might be worth it.  It's got an intermediate class, but not sure if I'll take it yet.   I think because I wanted to learn Java and not how to program that I find this particular teacher rather irritating and loves to get off topic easily.  Again - if you want the extra reinforcement into programming, this class might be for you.   I find it hard to get into the class as I am just now into Lesson 5 (remember we have 12 lessons total) and we're just now writing our first program.

I am giving serious consideration to PHP/MySQL class next but I am pacing myself.  The different classes start every month - Feb 17, Mar 17, April 17 etc.  So you have a 2 week overlap of classes ie: 4 classes that overlap each other.  So we'll see if I get to it.

Anyway, had to post the latest endeavors. 

No comments:

Post a Comment