Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Setting up a new machine - what a blast!

So I got lucky enough to get a new 64-bit windows machine last week. I swear this is the most amazing thing! The silly screen is bigger than my 21" TV at home in the back bedroom! I was shocked! I so didn't expect anything like that nice!!! Wow. And I sit here setting this machine up and continue to be amazed. I have to say I *really* like this. It's fast (dual core 64-bit), beautiful monitor with so many card reading ports for digital cards I nearly fell over. 2 250 gig drives. It's positively amazing!

I sit here setting up the IM's and getting VMWare reinstalled and getting outlook setup and and and and and :D Can you tell I am having a blast? So something useful out of this blog? OK. What about tools? I am the tools freak of the world. These are Free BTW :)

7-Zip: open source zip extraction etc.

Trillian: IM that handles yahoo, IRC, ICQ, MSN, and AIM. I love this but doesn't have the bells and whistles of the original IM systems. But also not the memory hog like they are.

sync toy: a way to synchronize my folders of one machine onto an external drive or to another HD

ccleaner: great clean up of all the left over temp files and pretty good registry cleaner tool.
command prompt here: powertoy tool from Microsoft.

DeskLite: If your system has a dual monitor and you remote desktop in with a single monitor, what happens to those apps sitting on the 2nd monitor? This is your answer!

XanaNews: newgroup news reader made with Delphi.

There are loads more, but I should get back to doing the good stuff. :)
cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment