Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Butterfly Switchplate Cross-Stitch is complete.


Well I finally finished Irene's piece for her room. The picture to the left is one of the sharper editions of the pics I took. Additional photos can be found here. I have to say that this was a lot harder than what it looked. Cross-stitching on vinyl is going to be a rarity for me. It gets harder to work with as you add more detail. Getting the backstitch into it was near impossible after doing the cross-stitch. Reason: Vinyl has no "give" or stretch. Fabric stretches as you add the additional floss. Vinyl won't do that. It's been a good learning piece on things I need more data about cutting fabrincs though. It's something you have to be very precise with I think. I believe I fudged this piece well enough here on the cutting out of the holes and around the edges but it's not easy and most definitely not perfect. :-S

Anyway..the reason this suddenly appeared was because I have been "bitten" by the cross-stitch bug again. I found this new piece I am going to work on. Reason? My grandmother gave me her collection of thimbles which I have hung in the dining room. There is a picture of them here. It's not the greatest way to show them off mind you. You notice that they are dwarfed by the enormity of the wall itself. So my thought, the new piece is one of several that are about 4 1/2 inches wide by 6 inches long. Several of those posted around the thimbles would help make the wall "disappear" so to speak and provide a way to help bring out the thimbles. I expect I'll be doing about 6 - 7 of those type of pieces :). Insane you say? We'll see. :)


Enjoy

2 comments:

  1. Wow, that is beautiful. I think it turned out great! Can't wait to see it in up close :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. man, you did an amazing job on that one. I'm really impressed. I'm bummed I can't see it up close.

    ReplyDelete